Monday, February 6, 2012

Oscar Nominations

Every year I am beyond excited for the Oscar nominations to go out, I even wake up early to watch them announce the nominations live. This year was different, I didn't wake up because I was not only lazy but I was also not too excited about the nomination prospects. All I really was excited about was Charlize Theron (Young Adult), and Elizabeth Olsen (Martha Marcy May Marlene) getting nominated. To my complete surprise not one of these incredibly underrated performers were nominated. Instead we have five ladies that in the eyes of the "blockbuster" critics deserved the nod. Did Viola Davis, Meryl Streep, Rooney Mara, Michelle Williams and Glenn Close really outperform Charlize and Elizabeth? I don't know if anyone could argue with me that they did. The reason being, Elizabeth and Charlize created with the help of the producers and writers...etc, they created new characters that were made completely from their view of what should be told from the story. Where as all of the above five ladies were basing their roles off of already written, produced, and understood roles. While I believe they performed beautifully, I still do not believe they out performed the ladies who in my eyes could stand next too Natalie Portmans performance in Black Swan last year. I think the other ladies would have a hard time standing next to the likes of Natalie Portman (Black Swan) or Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road) for that matter. What do you think? Do you think the ladies really outperformed Charlize and Elizabeth, and for that matter the leading lady Adepro Oduye from Pariah that Meryl so proudly announced as one of the best actresses this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment