Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Keep NBC'S New Show "Bent" Alive!

In the last couple of weeks I have been seeing interview upon interview's with the amazing Amanda Peet. Whether it be on Chelsea Lately, Letterman, or Ellen, Amanda always steals the show, and as excited as I was to see her in the interviews getting a kiss on the hand before departing Letterman (only his favorite ladies get that treatment) I was confused as to why she was getting interviewed so much. Turns out she is on a new show on NBC titled "Bent". I dvr'd both the pilot and the second episode that both aired on the same night last Wednesday, and just recently sat and watched both episodes. Absolutely brilliant. Amanda who plays Alex, and David Walton who plays Riggins (not to be mistaken for the Friday Night Lights Tim Riggins) show what true chemistry is. It was not forced at all. It came off as both cute and funny, which a lot of the newer shows have had a heard time achieving. For example "Whitney", and "Are You there Chelsea". Both of those shows have not met there match. It is way to forced, I keep using that word because a lot of the new comedies such as the two I already mentioned have come off to the audiences, those of us that know what good cute comedy looks like (Will and Grace, Friends, Modern Family, Parks and Rec, Office) as forced. I know how quickly NBC cancels shows and the fact that they are already playing back to back episodes of this show every Wednesday scares me a little. It feels like they are already giving up, and using it like they already used David Walton previously in the underrated comedy "Perfect Couples" that aired similarly just a year prior. Not only does their chemistry work, and does the comedy succeed, but the cast is ahead of its time. As I noted earlier it is led by the amazing Amanda Peet, and newcomer David Walton, but there supporting cast speaks for themselves. You have the great Jesse Plemons from Friday Night Lights fame, the hilarious Jeffery Tambor from Arrested Development fame, and Margo Harshman that us 07 high graduates remember from Even Stevens, and of course the funny J.B Smoove from Curb Your Enthusiasm fame. Please spend the hour long or if your smart and have DVR spend the 40 minutes laughing and smiling tonight and for the remainder of its season (yet to be determined) at 9 Eastern time, because shows like this don't come around as often anymore we have shows like "I Hate My Teenage Daughter" on Fox to prove that point.

1 comment:

  1. Finally someone else who liked Bent! I LOVEEE that show! I was looking to see if they got cancelled and came across your post...I hope it stays on! Do you know if they got picked up? I'm happy someone else agrees with me! Please respond!

    ReplyDelete